Communicating within a team is one of the most important tasks you’ll have as a business leader. Not only are employees counting on you to make them feel seen and heard, but they desperately want to feel recognized on the field of battle (AKA work).
Communication needs to happen both inside and outside of individual departments to keep everything running smoothly. Getting and keeping everyone on the same page is absolutely critical to success, and makes a world of difference for how tasks get done in your business. Think of team communications like a flywheel — once they get going, they’re almost impossible to stop!
With great communication comes great responsibility, and the more you encourage it in your business, the more benefits you’ll reap. Let’s take a look at some ways to enhance communication with your teams (including how Motivosity can help)!
Why is communication on a team important?
In case you weren’t aware, your employees need communication in a big way. Without collaboration and connection to the rest of your business, teams will be stuck working in a silo — not a good look.
And the statistics definitely don’t lie here:
- Good teamwork improves product quality by 34%
- Collaboration improves customer satisfaction by 41%
- Overall productivity rises 25% or more with communication
Contrary to popular belief, communication on a team is way more important than awkward chatter at Bagel Tuesday or during your monthly potluck. It’s motivation through communication — the most powerful form of engagement there is!
How to effectively communicate within a team
All this info can seem a little overwhelming, but don’t panic! Effectively communicating with your team is possible in just a few easy steps.
Here’s how to get started:
- Limit Meeting Scope: Meetings are important, but bulky, time-consuming, and unfocused ones are just plain awful. Limit the scope of your meetings to just one or two topics — max. And by the way: if your meeting could just be an email, you might not want to schedule it in the first place.
- Incorporate Communication Tools: Almost all modern businesses use online collaboration tools to streamline their workflows — up to 90% of them, in fact! Consider integrating platforms like chat rooms, dashboards, and productivity software to keep everyone on the same page (psst, Motivosity can help!).
- Encourage Connection: Allow your teams to create meaningful relationships that go beyond water cooler talk. The closer your teams are, the more willing they’ll be to collaborate. It’s a win-win scenario for everyone!
- Build An Open-Door Policy: Let employees know that your leaders are willing to chat anytime — no holds barred! This frees up the flow of daily communication and makes it easier to stay up-to-date on major changes.
- Have Scrum Meetings: Gather your teams every morning for a quick touchpoint meeting. What’s everyone working on, and how’s it going? Try limiting this meeting to 20 minutes or less.
These ideas are easily scaled to meet the needs of any SMB. Once you build a foundation, growth is sure to follow!
Managing multiple teams with communication
What if you have multiple teams that work on projects and product launches? Great question! Large collaboration efforts are a little trickier, but with the right infrastructure in place, scaling up is easy-peasy.
The same rules of communication still apply, with a few brief caveats:
- Loop in everyone — Everyone needs to be on the same page with big teams — and we do mean everyone. Make it easier (and more fun) to collaborate in real time. Whether you CC or BCC everyone, the same information should be going to the same inboxes.
- Daily meetings — You can’t miss even one! Even if it’s just for 10 minutes, gather the crew to talk about process and progress.
- Rely on digital tools — Did you know that almost 50% of employees believe that social platforms can help increase collaboration in the workplace? It’s true! Software solutions like Motivosity are perfect for this, with an average usage rate of 96%.
Motivosity is helping create collaboration within teams
We meant what we said: Motivosity’s Connect software is the all-purpose teamwork solution you never knew you needed. Jam-packed with features and easily accessible, everyone on your team will love managing collabs in the same space. And best of all — it’s free!
See how Motivosity’s Connect platform could work some magic on your internal collaborations. Get in touch with us for a free demo to start streamlining your communications ASAP!